Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Spanish tortilla


I had my first spanish tortilla last summer in Barcelona and I didn't know what to expect- a flour tortilla? Nope- it's basically a giant potato and onion omelet and it is delicious. This recipe is really basic, you can make small tweaks here and there to make it your own.


I stuck closely to the recipe because I was very skeptical. Almost every time I've tried to pan fry potatoes, they've stuck to the pan or never fully cooked through, so I was expecting a disaster. Par-cooking them in water helps and so does the copious amount of oil. If you have a mandolin (jealous!) then this would be a good recipe to use it with. If you don't, just work slowly and try to get even slices.


I even flipped the tortilla onto a plate and then back into the pan to cook the other side. I must've been lucky that day because it didnt fall apart. This was good warm from the pan and room-temperature the next with a salad. This made a LOT and was enough for 5 meals.

1 comment: