Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Julia Child's Ragout of Chicken and Onions


I read Julia Child's memoir, My Life in France and then a few weeks later I watched Julie & Julia. I'm so sad that I never watched her on TV! I also realized I've never made a Julia Child's recipe! I sort of wanted to make the roasted chicken, but that would require rubbing butter in a chicken's crevices and under the skin, TOTALLY NOT READY FOR THAT YET. But Julia Child's always talked about how the chicken she had in France tasted more chicken-y so I will make her roasted chicken one day.... for now I will settle for a chicken ragout. The recipe is from Good Morning America.


All I had to do with the chicken was brown it, much more manageable. Mmm it was delicious. This is probably my 5th time cooking with wine and my first time using it in a stew. Thank goodness the recipe suggests a few types because I had no idea what a "young red wine" was.


The only weird part is that you end up with purple stew. I served it with some garlic roasted potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts. I'm going to look for some more of her recipes because she vigorously tested them time and time again. Although some of them are a bit dated... I remember aspic and I do not ever want to have to eat it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment