Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Meatloaf


I've only had meatloaf a few times in my life and they were very greasy, bland or overly-salty. I was craving meatloaf for some reason so I dug up two recipes: this one because there's ground turkey in it and this one because it seemed like a good basic meatloaf recipe.


In the second recipe you'll note that you have to make a "well" around the meatloaf and you need to drain the grease TWICE. Aghh... which is why I used ground turkey instead. I followed the basic onion, garlic, celery, eggs and breadcrumb formula, but I made up my own tomato-y recipe. I had leftover tomato paste so I used about 5oz of that, then 3 tablespoons of sriracha, some Trader Joe's marinara sauce to thin it out a bit, and then a few healthy dashes of soy sauce and a tablespoon of brown sugar.


I think the most important part of meatloaf is the mixing. I didn't mix it very well and had some chunks of turkey in there. Also I didn't have anything to drain so YAY for ground turkey. It was still a moist meatloaf too without the added fat.

*I made the meatloaf on my day off and had lots of natural light to take the photos in. What a big difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment