Sunday, February 21, 2010

Liquid Center Chocolate Torte

(As seen on Food Network's "Worst Cooks in America")
(My first attempt to make something look artsy on the plate and it was a complete fail! I will keep working on presentation, but I guess plating isn't my specialty.)

What sparked this occasion was to make it for my honey for Valentine's Day. :) That and after watching "Worst Cooks in America," I just couldn't believe how simple it was to make a chocolate torte. If they can do it, why can't I?--was my mindset. After the thrilling adventure, it turns out I might be worse than the worst cooks, 'cause I actually screwed up a part of the recipe. Yikes! =/

Here's the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/liquid-center-chocolate-torte-recipe/index.html
  • Instead of plantains, you can see clearly that I used blueberries instead. (I wanted something fresher and more in season than strawberries.) I also served it up with some Haagen Daz vanilla bean ice cream.
  • Also, like several others, I couldn't find the 4oz cake tins, so I opted to use a 12oz caphalon muffin pan. (This makes 12 mini tortes.) To compensate, I cooked them for about 8-9 minutes at 375F and took them out to cool and harden. I also oiled the pan vigorously with canola oil, knowing that I would not be able to flip the pan inside out.

Here's where the disaster came in though: the caramel. Oh sugar, why are you so hard to work with??

It honestly looks alright but I must not have put enough cream or used too high heat (something along those lines) because once I plated the caramel, it solidified into almost rock-hard. I'll have to experiment more with this at a later time, but for now I might be worse than the worst cooks in America. Sadface :(

But despite my failures, the torte itself came out nicely... as you can see, they turned out very gooey and melty in the middle! Delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Looks gooey and rich -- like a proper chocolate lava cake should be. If you ever get a chance, check out Jean-Georges Vongerichten's recipe for molten chocolate cake. He apparently was the accidental inventor of it. And his recipe is super easy. I've made it many times for company who have all oohed and ahhed in delight when the little warm cakes arrive at the table.

    ReplyDelete