Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Oven baked Ziti and Mini Mushroom Potato Pies

Just look at the buttery, flakey crust.

This recipe for mini savory pies is amazing. It comes from the Pie Truck (sadly no longer in existence) via a design blog. I've never tried the Pie Truck, but this recipe was ammmaaazzinnnngggg. The pastry dough is delicious and easy to make- I had to keep sticking mine in the fridge because it was hot that day and the butter was melting. I didn't have zucchini so I substituted potatoes- delicious! The pastry is buttery and flakey, the mushrooms and potatoes were creamy with a bit of tang from the sour cream. And dill! Who knew I liked dill??

My sad crimping.

The insides. Mmmm dill.

This was my first time making a true pie crust and also a pie. As in... I had no idea how to really pinch the seams so it looked good. And to make matters worse, it was hot in the kitchen so the dough was getting mushy as the butter melted. I just threw it in the oven and hoped it worked and it was magically delicious. TA-DA, butter fixes everything!


Not the most pleasant picture of cheesy pasta, but you get the idea.

I really love baked pastas with ricotta so an oven baked ziti was a no-brainer. This is a great make-ahead dish and it fit nicely in my 8x8 brownie pan. This will be a fun recipe to mess around with.

No comments:

Post a Comment