Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Vanilla Ice Cream with Strawberries

The recipe for this luscious ice cream is from Tartelette. It's vanilla bean ice cream with nice bits of strawberries (not strawberry ice cream). I still have a bunch of vanilla beans left- I ordered a dozen from amazon, which is much much cheaper then getting one beach from Ralphs or Whole Foods. Not only are they cheaper, they're more fresh and pliable then the ones I normally get. The problem afterward is finding a use for all of them. Vanilla sugar, vanilla pound cake, vanilla cake, vanilla everything. Good thing Ilya bought me the ice cream attachment for my beloved KitchenAid mixer.

Egg yolks before being whisked.

Egg yolks, after being whisked. See how much lighter they are?

A lot of ice cream recipes call for raw egg yolks, which I'm not 100% comfortable with... Traditional custard based ice creams also tend to be more rich than I'm used to (thankfully my roommates are happy to help me finish my ice cream experiments). I think my favorite ice cream recipe is the one for green tea, which I'll post soon.


Look at my mixer go!

Making ice cream is easy. I leave my ice cream bowl in the freezer so it's always ready to make ice cream. Of course I have to wait anyways since the ice cream has to be refrigerated for several hours. The colder you can get all your ingredients, the better. This ice cream was okay- I think I didn't mix the ice cream and strawberries enough so there were some icey streaks of strawberry. Overall though, a good ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment