Sunday, April 26, 2009

Cherry Blossom Festival

Last weekend I went to Japan town's Cherry Blossom Festival in San Francisco to try some new good eats... and boy, did I find some surprises!


SPAM MUSUBI

(Can't tell too well from the picture, but this is wrapped in seaweed.)

This savory treat is absolute genius. It's probably among the simplest of creations and yet it tastes so amazingly good! I bought 3 (took two home) of these from two different booths but I noticed there was a difference in taste. So far I can tell you that the sauce is the biggest determiner of a "good" spam musubi, and that too little seaweed can be a bad thing. I even went home and bought a musubi molder off eBay for about $10 including shipping. I'll be making these in the near future.
*One small note about these: they're not Japanese! I wikied it and it actually turns out that these are a Hawaiian creation, probably Japanese-influenced. Still good, though.

BEEF BALLS

What the heck are those?? Beats me. Really beats me. I waited in a half an hour plus line for these so-called "amazing" beef balls and when I took a bite I tasted... starchiness???? Beef balls my butt! Most of the ball is made of a doughy-sponge cakey-batter, and there was maybe a tiny piece of meat here and there. What you really taste is the batter, the sauce (some kind of teriyaki sauce I believe), and the ginger. Below is what's actually in it:


All I can say was that I was pretty disappointed for the nice list of ingredients they had above. If only they had focused on the beef!

GREEN TEA ICE CREAM

No pictures here for this once; it was a basic two-scoops of green tea ice cream on a regular cone. It is honestly some of the best green tea ice cream I've ever had, and I've had green tea from quite a few restaurants and quite a few ice cream brands. This was some good stuff I had... it's possibly where many Japanese restaurants get their green tea from (because it tastes quite comparable if not the same). What has two thumbs and knows the source of great green tea ice cream? This one! *Points thumbs at self* I found out where it's from. Hard to find in your local markets, but definitely available through special-order. Guess where it's from. You'd never believe it. It's Dreyer's.

No comments:

Post a Comment