Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Oxtail Soup


I adapted this recipe from my mom, who I think got it from my grandma. Over the generations, it's changed a bit here and there (I'd like to say for the better :P). Just a note--this is semi-homemade! I used a bit of canned ingredients, but this can be made entirely with fresh ingredients. I am using canned stuff for now until I can figure out how to flavor the soup correctly.

Ingredients (Makes a huge pot... probably serves 10+)
  • 2 cans ITALIAN diced tomatoes (the Italian flavoring is the best I've found)
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1 can long green beans, drained
  • 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 2-3 potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 cauliflower, chopped
  • 1 package oxtail (usually about 4 small and 4 larger pieces)
  • 2 tbsp basil
  • 1 tbsp oregano
  • water to fill over ingredients
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
I just threw everything in, brought it to a boil, and let it simmer on low-medium heat for two hours. (Lazy-person's way.)

Ideally though, you want to throw in everything except the cauliflower and long green beans up until about 30 mins left in the cooking process--this is because these soften up a bit and break apart if you cook them for too long! You know when the soup is ready when the carrots and potatoes are soft and oxtail is very tender/falls off the bone easily.

Other comments: most of the flavoring will come from the Italian-flavored canned tomatoes and the oxtail itself.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment