Monday, May 25, 2009

Croque Monsieur


Mmmm this is like a fancy grilled cheese. The sweet, salty ham, the gooey grueyere, crisp buttery bread and the the nutty sauce. SO GOOD! I had a croque madame (a croque monsieur with a fried egg on top) at Morels at the Grove. It was good, but they put a LOT of sauce on so it was soggy. I didn't make as much sauce as the recipe called for so that the bread would still be crisp. I also substituted thyme for nutmeg and the bay leaf because that's what I had on hand. Also... no chives, but they would be great the next time I make them. I used the Trader Joe's 4 cheese sour dough bread because I love sour dough.


This is like my 10th time making a roux so I'm starting to get the hang of it. The first time I made it was for a mac and cheese and I was not sure what the hell flour + butter was going to taste like. For this one, I let it cook for awhile (on accident) so it had a nuttier taste. I'm going to experiment more with the roux and see how it affects the recipe.

All in all, a very very good sandwich. But then again, where can you go wrong with cheese + ham + butter + bread?

No comments:

Post a Comment