Monday, October 4, 2010

Thomas Kellers' Simple Roast Chicken

Look at that crispy skin! I did it!

This post encompasses everything that this blog is for me: pushing my culinary boundaries. I had to stick my hand in a chicken! I don't know if it's evident in my posts, but I typically do not enjoy sticking my hand in dead animals. When I cook meat it's normally cut up already and all I have to do is open the package and dump it directly into the pan. I rarely marinate as that would require me to handle meat. I am terrified of germs/making someone sick and also very sad about the animal that died so I don't eat meat that much. BUT I love burgers and medium rare steaks so I'm not so animal friendly that I won't eat them, I'm just scared of them. But I forced myself to make this- every good cook should know how to make a roast chicken!


TK recommends slathering butter on the chicken as you eat it, but I felt that was unnecessary- I'm already cooking potatoes in chicken fat, do I really need to add butter?

I chose this recipe because
a) It's from Thomas Keller
b) It is really easy

And it was really easy! I kept checking the oven because it seemed too good to be true, but the chicken turned out juicy (without butter somehow) and the skin was so crisp (don't know how that happens).


I tried to be eco-friendly and bought a reusable silicone string to make up for all the paper towels I used to dry the chicken.

Oh and by the way, when you buy a whole chicken, it comes with it's NECK. aaahhhhhhhhh I was frozen for a few minutes and then started yelling NECK NECK MY CHICKEN HAS A NECK until my roommate yelled back to just cut it off and make some chicken stock. Ah thank goodness for Jer and his good sense. And this recipe does require you to use a lot of paper towels because you have to thoroughly dry the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment