Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pesce al Sale


Sounds and looks fancy, but it's really so simple. This is a fish baked in salt crust. This is me trying to learn to make new things. I do not really know to make fish that isn't smoked, canned or already cut in a steak. The prospect of cooking a WHOLE fish was really frightening. This was made bearable by the fact that Whole Foods will fillet and de-scale a fish for you. But then you still have to take it home, unwrap and face it's bloody body and bulging eyeballs... all in the name of culinary learning. I'm sorry fish!


Guilt aside, it was good. Also 3 pounds of salt ends up being a LOT of salt- I used my entire box of Kosher salt. It was surprisingly not overly salty! I decided to make some aioli with the leftover egg yolks. Ah, yes another fear: RAW EGGS. But the fear is quelled by the lovely jar full of aioli. I ate some with the fish, but it turned out to be an unpleasant combination... I'll save it for french fries and roast beef sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment