Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pizza & Home made ricotta



Oh yes, it's pizza time. Again. The last time I made pizza it was a disaster and made me seriously doubt my (few) pizza making skills. My pizza love was piqued by buying a pizza stone and a peel. I've read that you can use an unglazed quarry stone instead of buying a pizza stone, but I'm still worry about using a non-food grade material for baking so I decided to spend the extra money and not worry about lead poisoning. This time I went with a recipe from Serious Eats for a NY style pizza.

I tried out a different dough stretching technique and I think it really helped. I think a longer resting time will really benefit the dough too. I used a mix of APF and corn meal to dust the peel, not sure if I like cornmeal on it. Many more ideas to test out and more dough recipes. For now, at least, I know I can make okay pizza.


I also had some extra whole milk so I decided to make some ricotta. Turns out it is crazy easy to make. But it doesn't make that much- that one recipe made only about 1/4 cup of ricotta. I wanted to have it on my pizza in lumps so I let it dry out overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment